Hero's Welcome - V, Spoilers ahead, tread safely

Chaotic Member

Group: Chaotic Member
RS Name: Maxi
Allegiance: Zaros

Medals: 7 - 49 Pts
SummerBeat Suggestions SummerBeat Guide Creation Community
Edited on Jul 3 2015, 4:37 PM by Max
Before I continue, please note that there will be SPOILERS for the quest so if you haven't done it yet or want to finish the quest yourself first, feel free to stop reading now.

Spoiler: Click to show...V. He was killed off too soon, without the chance of actually getting to know him. There are theories that say he faked his death because on that island, there were several instances of him. In the Book of the Gods, he stated that he also liked faking his death as a tactic.

What are your thoughts?

Head of RuneZone

Group: Senior Leadership
RS Name: Bexs
Allegiance: Godless

Medals: 5 - 105 Pts
Finding Theo Cybersmile Donation SummerBeat Donation Event
I haven't done this quest yet but SO MANY people have said that they felt V was killed off too quickly, fill me in, what was so special about him as a God?

Twitter | Submit a Support Ticket! | Tumblr

User Posted Image

User Posted Image

"Some people are worth melting for..."- Olaf

Chaotic Member

Well, he was basically the Hero of the Fremennik people that is here to defend them now that the Gods have returned to Gielinor. It's also like adopting the ideals of being a Hero, striving for the sense of adventurer, conquering and victories.

I might be wrong with that last bit though what happened was quite early, yes.

Head of Video Management

Group: Media Crew
RS Name: Dawn

Medals: 5 - 24 Pts
SummerBeat Community Community Community Community
Edited on Jul 3 2015, 10:32 PM by Bubbles
yeah, he was... killed of far too early for my liking, as much as i didn't want a new god introduced into the game he was quite the character, and i feel we should have had that happen in a few quests, to sort of grow attatched to him before they killed him off...

User Posted Image

User Posted Image

Head of RuneZone

Would you actually recommend me doing the quest? I have to do it anyways for comp but was going to leave quests till last.

User Posted Image

User Posted Image

Donator

Group: Donator
RS Name: Ballor

Medals: 5 - 48 Pts
Donation SummerBeat Community Community Community
Edited on Jul 4 2015, 3:24 PM by Ballor
So, I agree that the Bait and Switch was a bad thing, the advertising on the Quest was awfully done. However.

My good friend Captain Lime summed up in a group chat why it's a good thing he was killed off.

1. V was not all that he was cracked up to be - he was oftentimes ignorant of cultures of the worlds that he went to, and usually decimated the culture and left.

2. V was not the focus of the quest, but he was a way to bridge the God storyline and the Dragonkin storyline. In this way, it is helpful to think of V as two separate entities: the mind, and the power. Through his power, the impetus is given to the Dragonkin Storyline, so that we can see the inner workings of the Dragonkin Politics. It also reveals what happens when a Dragonkin gains godlike power. His mind is used as a lens so that we can see the other gods through, as well as his travels, for better or for worse. The fact that he's dead actually makes it so that we can see the uncut, unfiltered edition of what he actually did on his travels.

3. With his death, we will learn more about V than we ever could - just as we did with Guthix. Before Guthix died, all we knew about him is that he was a powerful balance god who shaped Gielinor, ended the God Wars, and established his edicts before he returned to a slumber. And nobody cared to find out anything else. WIth his death, we not only know his previous species, his previous home, but we also know his personality, his relationships with not only other gods but his kin (as we've discovered to exist). V could be much the same way, and it looks to be too - we've gotten way more in that journal in the Book of the Gods than we ever could have by just talking to him.

4. With V's death, it is as if the Baton has passed to us. In the 2nd and 3rd ages, V effectively functioned as a version of us. He wandered the realm looking for problems that he could solve. Then, after he left, he expanded this vision to a universal scale. Sure, he sometimes caused more problems than he solved - but so do we. So, in a universe where V manages to return and stays alive, what place is there for the Dutiful adventurer who did the exact same thing? Since V has died, and we are the only witness as to how he died, it as if we have been given the mantle of the next V - a defender of the realm. Extra credentials.

Gotta say, I agree with the logic.
You either die the Hero, or live to see yourself become the Villain.

User Posted Image

Chaotic Member

I'd recommend doing all quests, they're all epic - even if they weren't greeted so well by the community.

Head of RuneZone

See I've done most quests, I had the cape for sometime. Got DofD to do and this new one

User Posted Image

User Posted Image