< 1 2 3 >

Content Ambassador

Group: Ambassador
RS Name: Disrupt
Allegiance: Zamorak

Medals: 3 - 22 Pts
SummerBeat SummerBeat Community
Mr Ketchup @ Mar 16 2015, 2:58 PM
So running this fansite resulted you in getting a job at Jagex, after you've got the job you've noticed a considerable decrease in user activity on your site due to lack of time and investment put in from the SL team. (From what I can see) and instead of trying to fix the issue and promote the site you've essentially decided to stop putting the effort in.

I'm probably not the only one who thinks it, but almost more than likely the only one that will post it. It's a shame, although, I called it after you pulled the plug on runeradio. Runezone was the first fansite I joined and actively participated in and to see this news post truly saddens me

I don't really think that the effort they put in now would be reflected due to decline of community interest with RuneScape fansites in general anyways. RuneScape has become a lot more independant in recent years by releasing their own content such as introducing clans and detailed hiscores & statistics etc. RuneRadio was pretty unique and probably one of this site's most adored, precious and most popular features. I feel that RuneRadio's closure was indeed a big set back for user & site activity. I'm not really sure why the Radio had been declining in interest (maybe lack of staff availability, music choice, personal technology ease of access, etc) but that was one of the core features that kept users coming back and using the site as a whole -not specifically effort from the SL team (although I'm sure they had a part of the contribution! :) ).

Thanks to all the SL, Staff & Users for the input they've put into this site. It made my time on RuneScape a lot more interesting! :)

User Posted Image

Leadership Adviser

Group: FactoryBox Executive
RS Name: RuneZone
Allegiance: Godless

Medals: 4 - 60 Pts
Development SummerBeat Spring Games WinterBeat
Edited on Mar 16 2015, 9:07 PM by Nathan
Mr Ketchup @ Mar 16 2015, 2:58 PM
So running this fansite resulted you in getting a job at Jagex, after you've got the job you've noticed a considerable decrease in user activity on your site due to lack of time and investment put in from the SL team. (From what I can see) and instead of trying to fix the issue and promote the site you've essentially decided to stop putting the effort in.

I'm probably not the only one who thinks it, but almost more than likely the only one that will post it. It's a shame, although, I called it after you pulled the plug on runeradio. Runezone was the first fansite I joined and actively participated in and to see this news post truly saddens me

Your first sentence suggests I spent thousands of pounds, dedicated thousands of hours and everything else I've invested into the site to simply get a job at Jagex. I can assure you, 16 year old Nathan had no plans to to join Jagex, indeed not even 18 year Nathan old did, but things happen and you take the risk, take the opportunity and see where life takes you. The suggestion you've made is unfair - you'd do well to learn that correlation does not imply causation.

Irrespective of the above, RuneZone remained active even during that time, but every fan site, not just RuneZone has seen a decrease in activity, and we did on multiple occasions attempt to really increase the site traffic through spending money, thinking of new ideas and more, but nothing proved fruitful. If I'd ran the site for 6 months, I could maybe understand, but this is after 5 years of absolute dedication and passion, from not just me, but the entire staff team.

The level of commitment and dedication my team invests into the Network will remain as high as it did in 2010, as will my own level of commitment, but you surely can not expect a group of volunteers who have lives to lead and things to do to continue to invest as much time and effort into something when the return is simply not there. That's unfair on the staff, the community and just a very backwards way of doing things. With everything, there has to be a return on investment.

We'll now be investing in YouTube and new non-gaming community websites. The dedication and passion is still there, it's simply being focussed on other projects, which will provide a higher potential in regards to a return.

You're entitled to your opinion, but it couldn't be further from reality & does a disservice to the team.

User Posted Image

User Posted Image

Bi Winning.

Group: Active Donator
RS Name: Adorabrandon
Allegiance: Zamorak

Medals: 3 - 100 Pts
Donation Donation Donation
Mr Ketchup @ Mar 16 2015, 10:58 AM

1) He's not going to stop putting effort in. Just going to put the focus of updates and growth towards other areas, nothing wrong with that. Every forum, every fansite sees it's periods of growth and slowdown, we just happen to be in that slowdown phase. Some things work...some things don't work as well. Why not branch out towards new areas and use that to attract newcomers attention to help grow and expand the community once again? I have to admit I don't know much about the whole job at Jagex, but anything is worth taking a shot at if it's something you want to do and helps to focus your passion even moreso.

2) I can agree, Runeradio was a huge thing this place had going for it. But as with anything else in life, you have to eventually evolve and move on to keep up with the times. As unfortunate as this is, bigger things are meant for Runezone and each and every one of its dedicated members. Instead of focusing on the negative, I choose to focus on the positive. we have an awesome and dedicated staff along with great and just as dedicated members still around that refuse to give up on this place. I'm excited to see what 2015 has in store for all of us.

User Posted Image

Donator

Group: Ancient Member
RS Name: Hell Naw Man

Medals: 16 - 117 Pts
Event Finding Theo SummerBeat Community Community
Edited on Mar 16 2015, 11:23 PM by Hell Naw Man
Interesting read.

Activity may have dropped, but the friendships I've made here and the strong sense of community will always be a part of RuneZone for me. :)

♛ TOᗩᗪ ᑕᖇEᗯ ♛

Group: Mithril Member
RS Name: Jimson
Allegiance: Zaros

Medals: 0 - 0 Pts
Eager to see the upcoming stoof the RuneZone staff has in store for us in the future!!! :D

User Posted Image

Signature created by: Zammyskid

Follow me on Twitter @JimsonTCG

This message has been hidden

Leadership Adviser

Group: FactoryBox Executive
RS Name: RuneZone

Medals: 4 - 60 Pts
Development SummerBeat Spring Games WinterBeat
Hey Hiyam,

Thanks for the post, I've had to hide it as it includes some sentences which aren't appropriate to post on RuneZone - I can edit them out, message you what was edited out (so you know) and then unhide your post if you wish. Let me know if you want me to do that.

I've already made clear the necessary information in the opening post and in one of my replies. It's important to remember we're all volunteers and therefore there is no legal requirement for staff to perform any duties, and on the whole we take a relaxed approach to how much input staff have. I don't use site traffic as an accurate or realistic way to determine how active a community is - traffic is driven by a number of things, whether it's via legacy links, crawlers, ads etc - the actual level of community and social media engagement across fan sites has been on the decline, which is what traditional fan sites like the ones I mentioned were and are all about.

RuneZone has always remained non-profit, the money we receive from the one single ad helps to pay for server and other costs and never gets paid into a bank account or taken as profit by anyone. The same is said for the donations we receive, so any suggestion our marketing or advertising was to increase ad-clicks etc isn't accurate.

This is very much a RuneZone post, RuneZone issue and isn't related to Jagex and I'd like to keep them both separate, as you also suggest in your closing sentence. :)

This Status Update is realistic, it is accepts the current climate and that we're no longer going to be in a 'continuous improvement' mode, and instead will now be refocusing our efforts towards different, non-gaming related community websites.

I'd hate for people to speculate too much on this news post as it'd detract from the actual reasons why it was made and what our focuses are going to be on going forward. Really enjoyed reading your post though, so I hope you allow me to edit one or two sentences out which relate more to Jagex so I can unhide it.

Thanks,
Nathan

User Posted Image

User Posted Image

Im just a Purti Purtigurl

Group: Bronze Member
RS Name: Purtigurl

Sad to hear about the decline in activity. :(
But it is good to broaden the horizons of the RuneZone community :)

User Posted Image

Iron Member

Group: Iron Member
RS Name: Marbian

Edited on Mar 25 2015, 3:59 AM by Marbian
I hope to not come across as ignorant to the truth here, but what I have to say is from what I have experienced. So I would appreciate it if you didn't take it personally like you did with Mr Ketchup. What he had to say is through his experience and witnessing the environmental changes over time.

It's easy to write up stuff professionally with words of passion and enthusiasm, but when it comes to Community, it's not just the words of the Leaders that make people attached. It's the interaction and passion of a active friendly atmosphere, and just because it's the internet, it doesn't mean people can't feel the environment.

My own personal experience with RuneZone is that it's become a killjoy. I have been part of Fansites since 2005, at some points in my history, it's fansites that kept me putt with RuneScape because of the Communities within them. Fansites are meant to be relaxed, with joyful people, gossiping, interacting, and mostly, warmth. When you're attached to fansites, you end up waking up each morning checking for PM's, Thread Replies, and the same before you go to bed. Because you're intact with it and the people within it because of it being a awesome environment.

Defining killjoy, what I meant by that is that you have tried too hard to act professionally. This opinion was in my head, and I wouldn't share it if it was only in my head. I have spoken to many people, some which are still high up in this Community, that have told me themselves that it is becoming too cliche, too strict, and just a un-joyful place to be, definitely when they're in a voluntary position. They and I have acknowledged that perhaps you have to act in a certain way now because of representing Jagex as they're your employer, but there has to be a line to how far you take the idea that you should be more professional now for your future. Because when it comes to Fansites, stuck up professional attitude just doesn't belong within the walls of the Gaming World environment.

Most gamers, game for fun. But let's disregard that, and say, most Scapers, scape for fun. They scape in their spare time, they're there entirely for entertainment purposes, and to get away from reality of Corporates and ass holes. The last thing someone wants when killing Nex, is Mark Gerhard standing there talking about Politics. They want him there talking about the game, with a relaxing attitude which is warm, warm enough that it would make people like you, further enough that because they like you, they end up liking everything you do. I think they call them 'fan boys' which is a bad saying, but really, it helps in some circumstances. Not all though, some 'fan boys' are just there because they can see opportunities of getting in with the plan if they kiss butt.

There is definitely a change within this Community since you joined Jagex, and I personally think that has been one of the reasons for the decline here. It's not bad that you joined Jagex, in reality, your future is way more important than this entire Project. But there are measures that you could of taken, you could of hired more people (you have a lot of people here daily that aren't staff), you could of put other people in charge of running the Community (which you have done, but people in charge of running the Community, also needs the power to come across as leadership, to the extent that they feel in control that they're able to make improvements, instead of back and forth like they're working for some bank...).

One thing with RuneZone, even before you joined Jagex, is that people felt that the only way with getting into the plan, is by knowing people. People like to get involved, definitely with 'FAN' sites, and all should be given opportunities to prove themselves that they can lead departments, so they can leave their own trade mark somewhere within the Community.

This has been very blunt, its 03:50, and I do expect a blunt reply arguing against it all, that's what you do. No one is ever right but the people who consider themselves high ups and better than everyone else.

I wish RuneZone all the best. Best days was 2011, and I'm so grateful to of been in some of the good moments. I hope you're able to keep the Community together and grow to be your own item, instead of growing to be like a item to try and get people in. Draw people to you, not draw yourself to them. That leads to failures. Focus on everything going on within. Which I know you're doing, but always keep to your own passion and goals, because if you achieve what it is you want to achieve, and you're happy with it, that alone will draw people in.

Chaotic Member

Group: Chaotic Member
RS Name: Kronre
Allegiance: Saradomin

Medals: 8 - 70 Pts
Finding Theo SummerBeat Community Donation SummerBeat
Edited on Mar 26 2015, 5:41 PM by Kronre
I can definitely understand where you're coming from, on the outside it appears as if RuneZone operates fully as a professional fansite. Internally, we like to feel as if we're reaching the community on a personal level, not just acting as wardens, supervisors, SL, staff, etc.

I can't be ignorant and say that I don't know what's going on with everything that has happened, I'm honestly both hurt and saddened when it comes to the comments directed toward RuneZone. We try our very hardest to take in constructive feedback and find solutions where possible. Being the Community Team Leader, I've definitely taken in your critiques toward the community and will make it last dying effort to ensure that we interact at more a personal level as opposed to a strict professional level.

RuneZone has always held great pride when it came to our procedures and community management, in its prime this definitely fell in our favor and helped boost the community we did have. The thing about a community though is that you have to constantly work to adapt, changing procedures & processes where necessary. I completely agree that it's time we look toward a more personal approach, ensuring that the community doesn't just see us as they do now. We want this to be your community, not just ours. With your help, we can change the direction in which RuneZone is headed.

I thank you for your comments, I surely hope you stick around to see what we have in store. :)

« Message me! | Submit a Support Ticket | Follow me on Twitter! »
User Posted Image
< 1 2 3 >